Module 2 Discussion Board
Sexology, the study of human sexuality, is a growing field in the social sciences; however, funding for research addressing sex and sexuality is hard to find.Interestingly, Canadian scholars have been successful in leading the field.
Read the following newspaper article briefly describing the work of several scientists at Canadian universities:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/relationships… (Links to an external site.)
(1) Based on the brief descriptions, what TWO researchers’ work and findings were most intriguing to you and why? In your response, describe the research and why you found it interesting.
(2) Is there a research question in the area of human sexuality that you are most curious about and why?
Module 3 Discussion Board
Background for activity:
Key facts about genital cutting, which is also called genital mutilation, provided by the World Health Organization (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/):
Female genital mutilation (FGM) includes procedures that intentionally alter or cause injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons.
The procedure has no health benefits for girls and women.
Procedures can cause severe bleeding and problems urinating, and later cysts, infections, as well as complications in childbirth and increased risk of newborn deaths.
More than 200 million girls and women alive today have been cut in 30 countries in Africa, the Middle East and Asia where FGM is concentrated1.
FGM is mostly carried out on young girls between infancy and age 15.
FGM is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
This topic is controversial and viewed negatively by many; however, it is also a common cultural practice that has been viewed as appropriate and normal.
Listen to this young woman’s description of her experience of being a child who had a clitoridectomy . This aired on This American Life (Who do We Think We Are). Make sure to listen to the full story before answering the questions below (it is 30 minutes and well worth each minute).
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/epi… (Links to an external site.)
(1) Describe your reaction to the segment and the practice of female genital cutting. Provide specific examples from her story that stood out to you. What did you find most important and impactful about her story and experience? Your post should demonstrate that you listened to the full Podcast.
(2) The World Health Organization, along with other key international organizations, are working to stop this practice. Do you think the international community should interfere with other culture’s practices? And, if so, what would you recommend?
Module 4 Discussion Board
BACKGROUND FOR ACTIVITY: This is the current policy statement provided by the American Academy of Pediatrics:
“New scientific evidence shows the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks of the procedure, but the benefits are not great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all newborn boys, according to an updated policy statement published by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). The revised policy, like the previous one from the AAP, says the decision whether or not to circumcise should be left to the parents in consultation with their child’s doctor.”
There is a growing movement to bring attention to the cons of male circumcision. Watch the YouTube video and then respond to the questions:
(1) Describe your reaction to the video.
(2) What are your thoughts about the practice of male circumcision?
(3) Do you think the practices of female and male circumcision are comparable and that we should advocate for reducing the use of the procedure? Why or why not?
Bloodstained Men – Super Bowl City Circumcision Crisis Protest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XWqskdb-QU
Submit Your Assignment and get professional help from our qualified experts!
4 module 8 easy comments for human sexuality was first posted on August 1, 2020 at 1:36 pm.
©2019 "Submit Your Assignment". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org